ISSE’s First Annual Research Conference was held on September 15, 2022. It was an auspicious start to an annual event that is sure to grow in scope and influence.
Following opening remarks by Dr. Brad Day, UTK Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, ISSE Researchers presented their latest work in Water Research (Dr. John Schwartz), Clean Energy (Jonathan Overly), Regional Sustainability (Dr. Tim Ezzell), Climate Change (Dr. Yulong Zhang), and Sustainable Food (Dr. Mingzhou Jin).
Next, state and community leaders in sustainability gave updates on initiatives in each of their areas. Presenters included Brian Blackmon (Sustainability in Knoxville), Dr. Mingzhou Jin (UTK Global Energy Ecosystem Initiative), Dr. Erin Webb, Senior R&D Engineer and group leader, ORNL (ORNL Environmental Research and Future Directions), Matthew Taylor (TDEC Sustainability Programs), Dr. Rebecca Tolene, VP Environment-Chief Sustainability Officer, TVA (TVA Sustainability Efforts), and Dr. Tom Gill (International Collaboration on Sustainability Research and Engagement).
Presentations are linked below.
An important part of the program was the student poster competition. Student researchers submitted 30 poster for judging, and these are the winners:
- First prize: Clifford Swanson, Microbiome of the Drinking Water Distribution System
- Second prize: Kepler Barnhart, Micromobility Vehicle Second-Life Battery Applications: Market Inventory and End Use Feasibility Analysis
- Third prize: Rongyun Tang, Interannual Variability of Global Wildfires
Wrapping up the program, Dr. Bill Dunne presented Jonathan Overly with the 2022 Outstanding ISSE Staff Award. Jonathan is truly a leader in efforts toward national clean fuels use. Well deserved!
- Overview of ISSE: History and Today, Dr. Mingzhou Jin, Director, ISSE
- Water-related Research, Dr. John Schwartz, Director, Tennessee Water Resource Research Center
- Alternative-Fuel and Electric Vehicle Adoption: Local, State, and Nation, Johnathan Overly, Director, East TN Clean Fuels Coalitions
- Sustainability and Leadership in the Appalachian Region, Dr. Tim Ezzell, Director, Appalachian Leadership Institute
- Climate Change Research, Dr. Yulong Zhang, Assistant Research Professor, ISSE
- Sustainability in Knoxville, Brian Blackmon, Sustainability Director, Knoxville
- UTK Global Energy Ecosystem (GEE) Initiative, Dr. Mingzhou Jin, ISSE Director
- ORNL Environmental Research and Future Directions, Dr. Erin Webb, Senior R&D Engineer and group leader, ORNL
- TDEC Sustainability Programs, Matthew K. Taylor, Deputy Director of Sustainability Office, TDE
- TVA Sustainability Effort, Dr. Rebecca Tolene, VP Environment-Chief Sustainability Officer, TVA
- International Collaboration on Sustainability Research and Engagement, Dr. Tom Gill, Director of Smith International Center
- Outstanding ISSE Staff Award, Dr. Bill Dunne, Associate Dean, Tickle College of Engineering