Jie (Joe) Zhuang
Research Director; Research Professor
Office Phone: 865-974-1325
Dr. Zhuang is a research director for the Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment (ISSE), a research professor at the Department of Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science, and the coordinator of the China-U.S. Joint Research Center for Ecosystem and Environmental Change. Over the past two decades, Dr. Zhuang has worked on many challenging scientific research projects in the United States, Japan, and China. His research is focused on the fate and transport of contaminants (viruses, radionuclides, colloids, and munitions constituents) in the environment; soil carbon management; soil hydrology; and carbon-water-nitrogen fluxes of terrestrial ecosystems.
Currently, Dr. Zhuang is an editorial board member for three international journals, Ecotoxicology, Environmental Management, and Pedosphere. He also contributes a significant amount of his time to the JIBS/ISSE China-U.S. Initiative, with the aim of promoting U.S.-China collaborations in the areas of global environmental change, bioenergy sustainability, and international education.
For more information, visit Dr. Zhuang's web site.
- Ph.D., Environmental Soil Physics, Shenyang Agricultural University, China
- M.S., Soil Science, Shenyang Agricultural University, China
- B.S., Soil Science and Agrochemistry, Shenyang Agricultural University, China
- Peter S. Knappett, Monica B. Emelko, Jie Zhuang, and Larry D. McKay. 2008. Transport and retention of a bacteriophage and microspheres in saturated, angular porous media: Effects of ionic strength and grain size. Water Research, 42(16), 4368-4378.
- John F. McCarthy, Jan Ilavsky, Julie D. Jastrow, Lawrence M. Mayer, Edmund Perfect, and Jie Zhuang. 2008. Protection of organic carbon in soil microaggregates via restructuring of aggregate porosity and filling of pores with accumulating organic matter. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 72, 4725-4744, doi:10.1016/j.gca.2008.06.015.
- Jianying Shang, Markus Flury, Gang Chen, and Jie Zhuang. 2008. Impact of flow rate, water content, and capillary forces on in situ colloid mobilization during infiltration in unsaturated sediments. Water Resources Research, 44, W06411; doi:10.1029/2007WR006516.
- Jie Zhuang, and Yan Jin. 2008. Interactions between virus and goethite during saturated flow: effects of solution pH, carbonate, and phosphate. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 98(1-2), 15-21; doi: 10.1016/j.jconhyd.2008.02.002.
- Andrew B. Kenst, Edmund Perfect, Steven W. Wilhelm, Jie Zhuang, John F. McCarthy, and Larry D. McKay. 2008. Virus transport during infiltration of a wetting front into initially unsaturated sand columns. Environmental Science and Technology, 42(4), 1102-1108.
- Jie Zhuang, John F. McCarthy, Edmund Perfect, Lawrence M. Mayer, and Julie D. Jastrow. 2008. Soil water hysteresis in water-stable microaggregates as affected by organic matter. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 72(1), 212-220.
- Jie Zhuang, John F. McCarthy, Edmund Perfect, John Tyner, Markus Flury, Tammo Steenhuis. 2007. In-situ colloid mobilization in Hanford sediments under unsaturated transient flow condition: Effect of irrigation pattern. Environmental Science and Technology, 41(9), 3199-3204; doi: 10.1021/es062757h.
- Gui-Rui Yu, Jie Zhuang, Keiichi Nakayama, and Yan Jin. 2007 Root water uptake and profile soil water as affected by vertical root distribution. Plant Ecology, 189(1), 15-30.
- Jie Zhuang, Jun Qi, and Yan Jin. 2005. Retention and transport of amphiphilic colloids under unsaturated flow conditions: Effect of particle size and surface properties. Environmental Science and Technology, 39(20), 7853-7859; doi: 10.1021/es050265j.
- Gui-Rui Yu, Qiufeng Wang, and Jie Zhuang. 2004. Modeling the water use efficiency of soybean and maize plants under environmental stresses: application of a synthetic model of photosythesis-transpiration based on stomatal behavior. Journal of Plant Physiology, 161(3), 303-318.
- Jie Zhuang, Markus Flury, and Yan Jin. 2004. Comparision of Hanford colloid and kaolinite transport in porous media. Vadose Zone Journal, 3(2), 395-402.
- Youwen You, George F. Vance, Donald L. Sparks, Jie Zhuang, and Yan Jin. 2003. Sorption of MS2 bacteriophage to layered double hydroxides: Effect of retention time, pH, and competing anions. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32(6), 2046-2053.
- Jie Zhuang, Yan Jin, and Markus Flury. 2003. Colloid-facilitated cesium transport through water-saturated Hanford sediment and Ottawa sand. Environmental Science and Technology, 37(21), 4905-4911; DOI:10.1021/es0264504.
- Gui-Rui Yu, Tatsuaki Kobayashi, Jie Zhuang, Qiu-Feng Wang, and Le-qing Qu. 2003. A coupled model of photosynthesis-transpiration based on the stomatal behavior for maize (Zea mays L.) grown in the field. Plant and Soil, 249(2), 401-415.
- Jie Zhuang, and Yan Jin. 2003. Virus retention and transport as influenced by different forms of soil organic matter. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32(3), 816-823.
- Jie Zhuang, and Yan Jin. 2003. Virus retention and transport in Al-oxide coated sand columns: effects of ionic strength and composition. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 60(3-4), 193-209
[Return to Top]
Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment (ISSE)
311 Conference Center Building, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-4134
Phone: 865-974-4251 • Fax: 865-974-1838 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org