Dr. Thanos Papanicolaou serves as Director of ISSE's Tennessee Water Resources Research Center and as a Professor in UT's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, where he holds the Henry Goodrich Chair of Excellence. He is also editor-in-chief of the Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, a premier journal of the ASCE.
His research includes a wide range of hydraulic and environmental issues.
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech (VPI&SU), Blacksburg, VA
- 1997 MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech (VPI&SU), Blacksburg, VA
- 1993 BS, Civil Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 1990
- Papanicolaou, A.N., K.M. Wacha, B.K. Abban, C.G. Wilson, J. Hatfield, C. Stanier, and T. Filley. 2015. From Soilscapes to Landscapes: A Landscape-oriented Approach to Simulate Soil Organic Carbon Dynamics in Intensively Managed Landscapes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 120 (DOI: 10.1002/2015JG003078)
- Papanicolaou, A.N., M. Elhakeem, C.G. Wilson, C.L. Burras, L.T. West, H. Lin, B. Clark, and B.E. Oneal. 2015. Spatial variability of saturated hydraulic conductivity at the hillslope scale: Understanding the role of land management and erosional effect. Geoderma 243–244: 58–68 (DOI: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2014.12.010)
- Tsakiris, A.G., A.N. Papanicolaou, J.H. Buchholz, and S.M. Hajimirzaie. 2014. Influence of collective boulder array on the surrounding time-averaged and turbulent flow fields. Journal of Mountain Science 11(6): 1420-1428 (DOI:10.1007/s11629-014-3055-8)
- Hajimirzaie, S.M., A.G. Tsakiris, J.H. Buchholz, and A.N. Papanicolaou. 2014. Flow characteristics around a wall-mounted, fully submerged spherical obstacle. Experiment in Fluids 55: 1762 (DOI:10.1007/s00348-014-1762-0)
- Tsakiris, A.G., A.N. Papanicolaou, I.V. Moustakidis, B.K. Abban. 2015. Identification of the Burial Depth of Radio Frequency Identification Transponders in Riverine Applications. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0001001)
- Bressan, F., A.N. Papanicolaou, and B. Abban. 2014. A model for knickpoint migration in first and second order streams. Geophysical Research Letters 41(14): 4987-4996 (DOE: 10.1002/2014GL060823)