Dr. Terry Hazen is the Director of the Methane Center at the Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment (ISSE) at the University of Tennessee (UT). He holds a joint appointment with the College of Engineering’s Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences’ departments of Microbiology and Earth and Planetary Sciences. He is a UT/ORNL Governor's Chair Professor in Environmental Biotechnology.
Hazen’s research focuses on how naturally occurring bacteria can sometimes break down and detoxify hazardous materials. He is also working with a team of researchers who have developed a method of using bacteria to help test for the presence of a wide array of pollutants.
- PhD, Microbial Ecology, Wake Forest University, 1978
- MS, Interdepartmental Biology, Michigan State University, 1974
- BS, Interdepartmental Biology, Michigan State University, 1973
- Piceno, Y., E. Dubinsky, F. Reid, L. Tom, P. Hu, M. Conrad, M. Bill, C. Hubbard, B. Fouke, C. Graff, J. Han, W. Stringfellow, J. Hanlon, T. C. Hazen, and G. Andersen. 2014. Temperature and sulfate availability structure microbial communities in four Alaskan North Slope hydrocarbon reservoirs. Front. Microbiol. 5:409. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2014.00409. (3.941, 0)
- King, G. L., J. E. Kostka, T. C. Hazen, and P. A. Sobecky. 2015. Microbial Responses to the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in the Northern Gulf of Mexico: From Coastal Wetlands to the Deep Sea. Annual Review of Marine Science 7: doi:10.1146/annurev-marine-010814-015543. (16.381, 0)
- Martinez, R. J., C. H. Wu, M. J. Beazley, G. L. Andersen, M. E. Conrad, T. C. Hazen, M. Taillefert, and P. A. Sobecky. 2014, Microbial community responses to organophosphate substrate additions in contaminated subsurface soils. PLoS ONE 9(6): e100383. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0100383. (3.543, 0)
- Woo, H. L., S. Utturkar, D. Klingeman, B. Simmons, K. DeAngelis, S. Brown, and T. C. Hazen. 2014. Draft Genome Sequence of the Lignin-degrading Burkholderia sp. str. LIG30, Isolated from Wet Tropical Forest Soil. Genome Announcement 2:10.1128/genomeA.00637-1 (xx, 0).
- Hazen, T. C., A. M. Rocha, and S. M. Techtmann. 2013. Advances in monitoring environmental microbes. Curr. Opinions in Biotech 24: 526-533. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.copbio.2012.10.020. (8.035, 9)